At Horace Mann, we believe in respect and treating others the way they would want to be treated. We appreciate the loyalty of our customers and respect the privacy of everyone who uses our website, social media and mobile applications. You have our assurance through our use of our privacy practices and policies that any personal information provided or collected will be strongly protected.
- We may gather personal information to issue and service your policy and to offer you other insurance or financial products.
- We do not sell your personal information to anyone.
- We may provide any of this information as required or permitted by law, including sharing it within the Horace Mann family of companies and with companies that perform marketing or other services on our behalf or with whom we have joint marketing and confidentiality/data protection arrangements.
- We require these other companies to keep your personal information protected and confidential and to use that information only for the purpose of the marketing or service arrangement.
- We restrict access to your personal information within Horace Mann to those persons who need access to that information to provide products or services to you or to us as described above. We require those persons to keep your personal information confidential.
- We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in place to guard your personal information.
Gathering customer information
We want you to be aware that Horace Mann follows all applicable laws and regulations in gathering and using various types of information about you for purposes of using our website, social media and mobile applications.
Personal information is information that can be used to identify you, such as your name, address, telephone number or email address. We do not collect any personal information about you unless you choose to provide it to us. If you choose not to provide personal information, you may be unable to use certain features on our website.
Demographic information is anonymous information that is derived without using any personally identifiable financial information that is not publicly available. This is information such as your gender, hobbies, interests, ZIP/postal code or country. If demographic information is collected for an activity that also requires personal information, we may combine the demographic information with your personal information. Combining data allows us to customize notices we send you and content we provide you according to your interests and preferences. Demographic information is not considered personal information unless it is linked to personal information about a specific user. If you choose not to provide certain demographic information, you may not be able to use certain features on our website.
Aggregate information is anonymous data about individuals that is grouped together to study a group or category of services or users. Aggregate information is not considered personal information unless it is linked to personal information about a specific user.
Information security for Internet, social media and mobile app users
Horace Mann wants you to understand how we use various Internet "cookies" and analytics to track as well as enhance your experience on our website. Horace Mann's social media and mobile applications may also collect demographic information from each user of the application.
To use some functionality of our website, your Web browser will have to be configured to allow cookies. These cookies send messages from our Web server to your hard drive and are subsequently stored on your hard drive. They allow us to study the volume and patterns of customer usage, although we cannot identify you by name or other personal information unless your computer's preferences are set to supply us with that information automatically. As a convenience to you, cookies also enable us to store your online preferences, so portions of some online forms you may use are automatically completed.
We also maintain log files, which contain Internet Protocol ("IP") addresses. An IP address is a numeric address that is assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. We do not link IP addresses to personal information, unless we notify you or unless necessary to enforce our website terms and conditions. In general, we use log files to monitor traffic on our website and to troubleshoot technical problems. In the event of abuse, however, we may block certain IP addresses.
When you access the Customer Care Center site, we use Secure Socket Layer Technology (SSL) to encrypt your information. This ensures only you and Horace Mann see this information. To make sure your browser is in secure mode when providing us with personal information, check for the lock or key icon at the right hand side of the browsers “Address Bar.” Your URL should also change from http:// to https://.
Horace Mann employs a variety of network- and host-based security measures. We review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. Though these measures continue to evolve, they are no guarantee against a breach. In the event of a breach, we will follow all applicable laws and regulations, including notification to users of a data breach involving unencrypted personal information by email or by posting a notice on the Horace Mann website. Despite reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable.
Social media usage
By posting any comments, posts or other material on Horace Mann social media presences, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter, you give Horace Mann the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media. You also agree that you will not:
- Post material that infringes on the rights of any third party, including intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights.
- Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity as determined by Horace Mann in its sole discretion.
- Post advertisements or solicitations of business.
- Post chain letters or pyramid schemes.
- Impersonate another person.
- Allow any other person or entity to use your identification for posting or viewing comments.
- Post the same note more than once or "spam."
Horace Mann reserves the right (but is not obligated) to do any or all of the following:
- Remove communications that are abusive, illegal or disruptive, or that otherwise fail to conform to these Terms and Conditions.
- Terminate a user's access to the social media presence(s) upon any breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- Edit or delete any communications posted on the social media presence(s), regardless of whether such communications violate these standards.
The Horace Mann Companies
Office of Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 3603
Springfield, IL 62715
Or, you may fill out a complaint form.