Last revision: (12/23)
- We may gather personal information to issue and service your policy and to offer you other insurance or financial products.
- We do not sell your personal information to anyone.
- We may provide any of this information as required or permitted by law, including sharing it within the Horace Mann family of companies and with companies that perform marketing or other services on our behalf or with whom we have joint marketing and confidentiality/data protection arrangements.
- We require these other companies to keep your personal information protected and confidential and to use that information only for the purpose of the marketing or service arrangement.
- We restrict access to your personal information within Horace Mann to those persons who need access to that information to provide products or services to you or to us as described above. We require those persons to keep your personal information confidential.
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in place to guard your personal information.
Gathering Customer Information
We want you to be aware of the various types of information Horace Mann may collect about you for purposes of using our website, social media and mobile applications.
Personal information is data that identifies you or can identify you when combined with other data. Personal information is usually your name in combination with another identifier, such as date of birth, postal address, email address, telephone number, or government-issued identification number. Personal information does not include anonymous or aggregated data that can no longer be used to identify a specific person, even if combined with other data. The specific definition of personal information varies from one jurisdiction to another.
You may request that we delete personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable request, we will delete or de-identify your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies, including circumstances in which we are required or permitted under applicable law to address the request.
Aggregate information is anonymous data about individuals that is grouped together to study a group or category of services or users. Aggregate information is not considered personal information unless it is linked to personal information about a specific user.
Information Security for Internet, Social Media and Mobile App Users
Horace Mann wants you to understand how we use various Internet "cookies" and analytics to track as well as enhance your experience on our website. Horace Mann's social media and mobile applications may also collect demographic information.
To use some functionality of our website, your web browser will have to be configured to allow cookies. Our cookies generally fall into one of four categories: Essential, Functional, Analytics and Target.
- Essential Cookies are necessary to provide you with products and services available through our website. If you refuse them, it will impact your ability to access some of the website’s functions and features.
- Performance Cookies help us enhance the performance and functionality of our website and offerings, but are not necessary for your use. Still, certain functions or features may become unavailable if you refuse them.
- Analytics Cookies collect information that is used to help us understand the use of our website and offerings, the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns, or to help us customize our website to enhance your experience.
- Target Cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed, so we can recognize you as a prior visitor and track your activity on our website and others you visit. These cookies remain on your device for us to use during a next visit to our website. In contrast to these “persistent” cookies, some cookies (“session cookies”) are deleted when your browsing session has ended.
These cookies send messages from our web server to your hard drive and are subsequently stored on your hard drive. They allow us to study the volume and patterns of customer usage, although we cannot identify you by name or other personal information unless your computer's preferences are set to supply us with that information automatically. As a convenience to you, cookies also enable us to store your online preferences, so portions of some online forms you may use are automatically completed.
We also maintain log files, which contain Internet Protocol ("IP") addresses. An IP address is a numeric address that is assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. We do not link IP addresses to personal information, unless we notify you or unless necessary to enforce our website terms and conditions. In general, we use log files to monitor traffic on our website and to troubleshoot technical problems. In the event of abuse, however, we may block certain IP addresses.
When you access the Customer Care Center site, we use Secure Socket Layer Technology (SSL) to encrypt your information. This ensures only you and Horace Mann see this information. To make sure your browser is in secure mode when providing us with personal information, check for the lock or key icon at the right-hand side of the browser's "Address Bar." Your URL should also change from http:// to https://.
Horace Mann employs a variety of network- and host-based security measures. We review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. Though these measures continue to evolve, they are no guarantee against a breach. In the event of a breach, we will follow all applicable laws and regulations, including prompt notification to users impacted by any data breach involving unencrypted personal information by email or by posting a notice on the Horace Mann website. Despite reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable.
There are "do not track" or similar browser choices available to online users, but given the present lack of consensus of what constitutes an informed election, appropriate trigger or breadth of scope of such choice, the Horace Mann website will not operate any differently when a "do not track" signal is received.
Social Media Usage
By posting any comments, posts or other material on Horace Mann social media presences, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter, you give Horace Mann the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media. You also agree that you will not:
- Post material that infringes on the rights of any third party, including intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights.
- Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity as determined by Horace Mann in its sole discretion.
- Post advertisements or solicitations of business.
- Post chain letters or pyramid schemes.
- Impersonate another person.
- Allow any other person or entity to use your identification for posting or viewing comments.
- Post the same note more than once or "spam".
Horace Mann reserves the right (but is not obligated) to do any or all of the following:
- Edit or delete any communications posted on the social media presence(s), regardless of whether such communications violate these standards.
The Horace Mann Companies are not responsible for any external links or third-party media shared from any of our social media properties, nor does it endorse any of the content provided by these external links or third-parties. Any third-party links, articles and/or websites are purely informational and do not represent any offer or solicitation. Further, any third-party information shared from this page should not be interpreted as financial or insurance advice.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may have certain rights with respect to your personal information including the following rights:
- the right to "opt-out" of Horace Mann's sale or sharing of your personal information to any third parties;
- the right to limit the use of your sensitive personal information to uses necessary to perform the services reasonably expected by an average consumer;
- the right, with some exceptions, to have your personal information deleted from Horace Mann's possession or control; and
- the right to receive equal service and pricing from Horace Mann even if you exercise any of your privacy rights. You can find out more about your rights as a California resident at www.horacemann.com/privacy/ccpa.
The Horace Mann Companies
Office of Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 3603
Springfield, IL 62715
Notice of Revisions and Updates